If you walk through your city frequently (and if your city is large, or has historical significance), and you witness widespread torpidity among visitors, you may decide to tap mixed reality -- the intersection of augmented reality, virtual reality, and the Internet of Things -- to make local sites more engaging, informative, interesting.
Here's how that project might evolve, if your experience is like mine:
1. You buy a tiny, cloud-connected brain.
3. You join a Hackspace.
4. You buy a servo
5. You hook up the servo to a guy with a Detour flag.
7. Participation is disappointing.
8. User testing is also mostly disappointing.
9. You realize that you're competing with (and losing to) Horchatas and Churros. Your experiment doesn't survive a remodeling.
10. You regroup, refine your experiment, and search for a new location.